Sunday, November 25, 2007

6 Seconds on Broadway


The Quincy Department of Planning and Development believes flashing electronic message boards clustered along city streets could pose a safety risk for motorists.

Really?

"It's simply a matter of addressing what I see as a potential problem down the road," City Planner Chuck Bevelheimer said. "I don't want to wait until it becomes a problem."

With all the future vision this city has for Planning and Development, this makes the front page as your biggest concern?

Apparently no one from the P&D was out on “Black Friday” to see the “smooth” flow of traffic on Broadway. I made the mistake of taking Broadway back from I-72 Friday and was stuck in traffic from approx. from 40th to 30th. It took over eight minutes to make it this distance. If they are concerned about flashing message boards here, I could have read War and Peace while waiting for the lights to change. OK, maybe just the ads for Friday.

I guess this must not be a problem.

If I were to dish out $40K for a EMB, the last thing I want to see is the city police stopping by and telling me that my message lasted 6.32 seconds and write me a ticket.

Personally, I don’t think the Plan commission should waste their time with this one. Let the businesses decide what they put on their signs. If the message is too long, I generally don’t read them.

Most of my time on Broadway is watching the cars around me with the people driving, yacking on the cell phone and weaving in the lanes like they are doing a tire cornering test for Goodyear.

Focus on the current problems please.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just another way for the city to use the Whig to distract people from real issues.

Anonymous said...

I agree. The best way to take the attention off of themselves is to place it on someone or something else.

Anonymous said...

I saw a man in a yellow Hummer reading War and Peace!!!

Blogvine said...

Are the talking about the ones like the sign near 24th and Broadway? Really?

Times Square must be the most dangerous place on Earth. It's a wonder I made it out of Manhattan alive.

However, if they're referring to the annoying electronic signs that remind me how fast I'm speeding... I'm all in favor of removing those. They are distracting.

Blogvine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

If they don't fix the lights and the flow of traffic on Broadway, What's the point?

36th & Broadway light sucks !!

Anonymous said...

36th Broadway light isn't any worse than the rest. Try 12th & Broadway where the left turn arrows come on for all directions when there is no one there to turn. How much time, gas and environment does this waste? What is with the left turn arrows for north/south traffic at 54th, 52nd and 38th & Broadway? These make no sense since there certainly is not enough traffic of that direction to warrant this. Don't any of the sensors in the pavement or the cameras mounted on the light standards to detect traffic work? Obviously not! How about the light at 8th and Jersey? Why? There is not enough traffic on Jersey to have this light in existance, put a stop sign on Jersey. How about 24th and Maine? North/South traffic whether it exists or not has a very long green light. You can sit on Maine for a minute or more at a redlight while there is no cross traffic. I could go on, but I don't have time. I would have time if I didn't waste so much of it at these intersections that are poorly controlled.
You would think that since the police drive around all day and night they could notice these problems and give a heads-up to someone who can fix the problems. Or, do the police just not have any common sense to see such things?

bg said...

On the contrary, I made it from 48th to 8th on Broadway Friday afternoon with a green light at every intersection. Then I did it again Saturday afternoon from 6th to 54th. No kidding..... Only complaint I have is the one at 12th St. with the turn lane getting first dibs...

Rodney Hart said...

People who complain about lights in Quincy kill me.

The other day I said, "I'm not going ALL THE WAY out to Wal-Mart."

Then I realized I'd lived in Quincy too long ....

I have NEVER been stuck in traffic in Quincy. Ever. The only time I've had an issue was playing bumper pool at 24th and Harrison.

Try driving around Chicago if you want to know what real traffic is like.

Anonymous said...

Yeah

The traffic lights in Quincy aren't nearly as important as a EX-QHS basketball player getting arrested.

That's Front Page shit now.

How's the follow-up on the suspended firefighters going?

That story must be stuck in traffic way out by Wal Mart.

Anonymous said...

RH
I am convinced you are an idiot. It is not about comparing Quincy traffic to Chicago traffic. It is about applying common sense to help the flow. There are easy fixes to many of these intersections yet nothing will ever be done about it. I have contacted the state about the turn arrows coming on needlessly at 12th and Broadway. Know what they said? The city is to maintain them. I contact the city know what they said? you guessed it, contact the state to maintain it. It is useless to attempt to get some common sense in place here. Maybe someone who is Catholic should give the city a few common sense ideas about this, they will no doubt listen to them.

TOOKIE said...

I like RH ...or RF (rockin funion)

Sure the fuck beats Ed tard !

Anonymous said...

Tookster,

Need to set a higher standard for RH.

Ed is two notches above snail poop.

TOOKIE said...

We had a follow up story to the workers today !

We have spent $20,000 having them on PAID vacation !


$20,000 dayum !

Anonymous said...

RH is the man.

 
Free Fire Pointer Orange MySpace Cursors at www.totallyfreecursors.com